Monday, September 9, 2013

Vacation September 2013 - Day 1-3

DAY 1
I get home from working the overnight, eat breakfast, crawl into bed for a few hours of sleep while Eddie ruins out to get the bike cases from Great Barrington (a 2 1/2 drive). He gets home, we load up and leave Erica and the grandchildren at the house and head down to Wompatuck State Park. We arrive get out campsite, Kathy is there with their children. We quickly unload and set up camp before dark falls upon us. Have dinner and crawl into the sleeping bags for some "sleep".

DAY 2

Slowly crawl out of the sleeping bags, get dressed, have breakfast with the Kovac's, Fabian rolls in and the goal is to ride the backside of the race. Perfect weather the trails are dry as are all the rocks and roots. We end up riding 18 miles.

We head to REI spend some money and decide we're hungry. Get back to the campsite, start dinner. Andy and Gabe arrive, Kathy gets back with the kids and let dinner preparations begin! What a feast! Steak tips, fried rice, chilie and I can't remember what else. Then a night ride! Of course we get separated but that doesn't stop us, we ride another 6 or so miles.

Get back, bed time! Ready for sleep but loud people and motorcycles put a damper on that!

DAY 3

Race day LANDMINE, last mountain bike race of the season. It didn't rain, the trails are in great shape, should be a super day.

Breakfast is homefries with an Chile omelette! So good. It's 9:30 the push is on to get to the start area. Dressed, water bottles ready and of we go.

It's already decided I wasn't going out fast at the start the race is 25 miles with the last 14 being rocks and roots. I do that, just hang back knowing that I would catch up to almost everyone. Pretty much did on Prescott Hill, except Jessica and the leader. Hit a nice cadence, riding by myself most of the time.

At mile 11.5 I had a misstep and when I went to get off the bike my right quad seized up, had to let it pass. Got back on the bike and just started spinning. Losing time here! Got back into a groove and felt okay.

Getting through the rock gardens over the logs! Feeling a few twinges in the quads and hamstrings but holding them off, eating and hydrating.

Through the second feed zone and there's only 2 miles left till the finish! Going along my left pedal strokes a rock, my left hamstring immediately locks up! Barely can get off the bike without falling over. Of course as I'm doing that my right quad seizes. Of the bike and using it to help me stay up right. I can see my muscles contouring with spasms!

I look up and see Pam, I know I just lost third place as she passes. She's asking me if I need anything, I know if I said I did she would stop but I tell , "no, keep going".

I slowly get back on the bike knowing I probably only have a mile to go, just get through it I tell myself. Start spinning, cramps again. To bad, legs just work! I get going again and limp my way in to the finish.

I have to say what a great day! I had a blast, except for the cramping. I improved my time by 7 minutes from last year! Jessica was second, Pam was third! We had a fun season and I can't wait till next year!

My hubby did awesome too! He improved his time by at least 3 minutes!

Thank you Jill and Chris Logan for running the Root 66 Race Series!!

1 comment: